Sunday, November 8, 2009

Fugly Ugly Forks


Finally got tired of looking at those pitted ass forks on my bike. I wish the factory would stop putting clear coat on them, but it looks good in the showroom. Looks like crap after a few miles but that’s life. So here’s my secret for getting that junk off. The stuff was called Goose’s Magic Mix metal prep cleaner. Now it’s called Magic Mix. Google it or find it at most truck stops. Make sure it has the bunny wabbit on the bottle. By itself it won’t do a damn thing to clear coat, as most chemicals you can buy won’t. Clear coat is some tough stuff.

So the trick? Green scotch brite pads. It has some sort of chemical reaction with a scotch brite pad. Put a few drops on the pad – you can smell the acid. I tried other brands of pads, doesn’t work. What kind of acid is it? Hell, I don’t know. But it gets rid of clear coat, that’s all I care about. You can wear rubber gloves if you want to, but hey if you can kill two birds with one stone and get rid of those pesky fingerprints that keep getting you in trouble and have purdy forks at the same time, why not.

I spent about five hours to do both forks. You still have to use a little elbow grease. The more screwed up the clear coat is, the easier it comes off. Then wipe it down with a wet rag and polish with your favorite metal polish.



8 comments:

Webster World said...

Did not know that funky look was clear coat. Your forks look great. Good to know that. I'm about to start a project bike(79 FLH) and it has that issue. Thanks. veri word problem. Hey! that one did not work wtf new one rawptu

"Joker" said...

I'm impressed. Us Springer people don't have to deal with that issue, but I'll definitely pass it along to the brothers with standard front ends. Forkin' awesome!

FLHX_Dave said...

Impressive...very impressive. I can't believe that I sat there and watched you do this for two of those hours, however, listening to Harvest and Bat Outta Hell was worth the time spent. I can't believe I have never listened to either of those albums.

mq01 said...

willyD, thank you, now i know i can do this beautifully and easily soon!! VERY COOL!! mine are looking like that. think i'll build a few more miles and let that clear coat really die first. next winter...

dave..never listened to bat outta hell? seriously? ;)

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Automotive laquer thinner would work too. Might get you high as a kite with the fumes though.

Forks are looking good.

Big Daddy said...

Great tip.
Afterwards go to a ricebike shop and buy the Honda glare professional polish...It keeps alum from tarnishing for about a years or more..[two years on the ironhead in the shop]
Happy birthday you ol fart.

Willy D said...

Webster: Hey, keep us updated on that ’79. I’ll be very interested.

“Joker”: But you have all that extra chrome to clean. LOL

Dave: Watching? I thought you were learning the proper way to stroke a fork.

mq01: I know a place not far from you that already has the supplies for the job and can usually be bought for nothing more than a good BS session.

Mr. M: High as a kite? Maybe while I’m wrenching on someone else’s bike, not mine ;) Plus, this stuff doesn’t harm the plastic reflectors or any rubber that it gets on.

Big D: I’ve got a Honda shop two blocks from me. I guess I can wear a disguise and go in there. 29 ain’t old!

mq01 said...

:) im needing a good bs session too!! thank you!! we need a roadtrip...