Sunday, February 21, 2010

Just Idling Along

Been having idle issues with the ’07 Heritage. When coming to a stop it would sometimes drop off almost to the point of stalling. So last night I decided to do a little surgery on it. Rip and tear is more like it, but when a chainsaw and pickaxe are the only tools you own you just have to make do. So after checking the most common causes of this type of motor misfucktion, I settled on the Idle Air Control (IAC) which controls the idle and the Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) which sends a signal through the ECM to the IAC so it can control the idle. Basically it’s a mess of wires, plugs and sensors that makes the electronic fuel injection system work. And they’re a bitch to get at. Hence the chainsaw.

So I get these two little buggers out and yes, they are all gummy and probably not doing their duty. Since one has to read air temps and the other has to open and close a air passage, I figured gummy ain’t good. So a little TLC with some toxic chemicals and back into their little holes they go. I attribute the crud to the oiled air filter. Which I will gladly deal with over risking a tear in a paper filter. But all that engine goobley glop isn’t what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about why was I the only bike on the road.


This morning I wanted to take it out and see if I screwed it up worse than it was. I went out on some back roads to warm it up then into town for some stop and go in traffic. All the time noticing that I was the only bike on the road. The temperature was right at 60, but no other bikes. WTF? Then it finally occurred to me: “Could it be this liquid sunshine that has everyone at home cleaning their chrome?” I even swung by the HD shop. Empty parking lot. But they still had the buffalo wings on the table in front of the big-screen with some car race going on. Free food? All for me? You damn skippy. Pig-out I did.

The front parking lot. Called due to rain I guess.

Who can resist the smell of wet leather? Yum!

Yep, the idle circuit works just fine. I guess the chainsaw method of fixing a Harley works after all. Go figure.



7 comments:

Learning to Golf said...

Damn, now I feel a little guilty for not riding yesterday in the rain. I promise to get wet next time.

Ann said...

We rode all day Saturday in the rain. Oh, yeah...Sunday too! Did I mention I HATE rain?!!

mq01 said...

im sick (pneumonia sick) and im still riding, and yes in the rain :) fresh air is good for the body. but damn now im wanting buffalo wings ;) so hows the idle now? officially fixed?

word veri; insurge

FLHX_Dave said...

I have not met a 07 Softail Heritage yet that doesn't do that same thing yours is doing.

Hopefully this has fixed that annoying problem. Maybe I should just check mine while I'm at it...couldn't hurt.

Willy D said...

AZHD: Yes, there will always be a “next time”.

Ann: Rain ain’t so bad when it’s 70 outside. Quit complaining.

mq01: You one tough lady. If you want the wings you’ll have to come get them.
The idle? By my standards it’s officially working fine. By HD standards it would probably cost me several hundred dollars to find out. Not!

Dave: So far so good.

WooleyBugger said...

Good to know you got er fixed on the cheap.
With your help I may have averted the blow torch tool for carb repair.

Willy D said...

WooleyBugger: Yea but the torch would’ve cleaned out any old lacquered up gas in the carb.