Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Shopping Rant




I don’t know about anybody else, but this Christmas I will not be shopping at Wal-mart, Target or any large blood sucking corporate store that sells nothing but cheap Chinese shit. I will try to make damn sure every nickel I spend stays local. Our money needs to stay in this country.


There are plenty of small stores around. Just look. If I spend anything, I want to spend it with store owners who live here. Parking might be harder. Might not be as convenient as a big ass mall. But so what. I’m looking for products clearly labeled “Made In USA”, and sold by local merchants. If I can’t find it, I don’t need it or I’ll look elsewhere. I will definitely not buy any Harley-Davidson “Merchandise” that’s not made in this country.


I also won’t fault anyone else for shopping where they please. Money is tight. There have been lay-offs, cut backs, down sizing and so on. Times are tough. You gotta do what you gotta do. I’m just tired of “out-sourcing” my money, and will no longer buy based on a cheap price alone


I often have discussions and bitch about this stuff. So it’s about time I take my own advice. I may not be able to find some things made in the US. But I will look a lot closer and buy American made products when possible. So if anyone spots me in a “corporate” store, kick my ass and take my checkbook.


Now, having said all that, I just finished putting up a fake ass plastic Christmas tree. Made in China, purchased at Target in 2001.

10 comments:

B.B. said...

Amen! It will be easy for me not to shop at any of the "corporate" stores this year. I will not be outsourcing any of my money as I have none. But don't worry, I would be more than happy to kick your ass and take your checkbook. Tell the wife to get ready......we're going shopping!

word verification- gastatio.....this is the amount of gas you can let loose before those around you get pissed!

FLHX_Dave said...

Hey WillyD! I'm texting you from inside of a Target. Meet me in the tool section...don't forget that checkbook...I'm gonna be needing it.

Heck...I don't have to worry about this...I'm not buying anything. lol. I agree with the statements made here on your digital soapbox.

Ann said...

I, too agree with your post, WillyD. This won't be an issue for me this year, as I won't be spending much money at all. I'm pretty sure Kraft Mac n' Cheese is still made here. :)

fasthair said...

Dr. W: As and independent business owner want I thank you for your commitment. It is us little guys that keep this country going with the taxes we pay and the jobs we create. Don't even get me started on that tax rant.

Thank you and happy holidays to you and yours.

fasthair

Kathleen Jennette said...

Amen. I do love the Ma & Pa shops much more and I hate seeing them go out of business these days. Just wish it was easier to find Made in USA products in the USA! Makes you kinda pissy...doesn't it?! Makes me pissy anyway.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Amen Brother! You make me proud!

Webster World said...

See people should listen to their Dr. That is great advise. I need to do better. I used to be a lot better at buying local. Meats. the habadaser. The local garage. I hope more talk like this around the net will get more folks doing just that. Man my veri word is ...thesavi... as in "I read the blogs I'll save"

Webster World said...

Here is another thing. My brother-inlaw brought up canned mushrooms. Hard to fined as a product of the USA. Check it out. So it got me thinking(which could be dangerous) Lead from China. My coffee cups? Hell the plates and all the rest. Toys are bad but what we eat on. Local USA is much better. Word for the day...dizess Dizess better to buy American.

Unknown said...

Spray some Pinesol on that tree of yours, close your eyes, have a scotch and it almost becomes the real thing.

Willy D said...

B.B: Wifey don't need no help.

Dave: Tagget aint got no tools.

Ann; Just read the box. Comes from Northfield, IL.

fasthair: What is it? 70-80% of jobs come from small companys?
And the taxes:( That's a Post.

KT: I too love small stores. When I can find them.

Mr M:Thanks

Webster: Didn't even think of the lead. Been in the news a lot.

Rick:That's funny. But if I do it, will dogs piss on it?


Everyone, just buy American when you can. Just don't break your bank to do it. You still gotta live.